Friday, May 4, 2012

What a race



We get to run our race with endurance for a reason! Success is a milestone measured over a period of time and with in each point in time. Where we are at now with Elmira Campus life is amazing considering where I started in January 2011. Historically where Campus Life was in Elmira in the 80's not quite but we are getting there. Between various events I would say over 120 current students have been to a campus life event in the last year and a half.

This however is not the point I wish to emphasize. I have a couple students that I have seen tremendous growth in as they start to attend church. I see it in my volunteers as they coordinate events and reach out to the students. I see a couple girls, after the girls retreat, slowly realizing they are looked up to by other girls in their freshman class. One of them picks up a van load of students (several whom are new to campus life club). I get to answer questions from some of the Christian students who want to help their friends but don't necessarily know exactly what to say (their is a reason at our office the sign outside says youth guidance). God is doing something amazing and aren't you glad you get to be a part of it!

We have some students that are in very crummy places. Two students I can think of have a dad that the students might be better off out of the picture. One dad is more emotionally abusive and the other controlling with a fair bit of emotional turmoil for the child. One student who rarely comes to club has parents going through divorce and is caught in a very fragile place. I would name students but they are tech savvy enough to read the blog and that would not be fair to them. However I see a spark in these students and I see potential for them. I see how the Love of Christ reaches them through my staff. Where would they be without the added support?

Upcoming events: BARN PARTY - COMMANDOS - LAST CLUB - SUMMER CAMP - BBQ
------------------------------------------

I also performed a wedding at club last week. This was no normal wedding mind you! This was one of my volunteers Mandy and a stick in water miniature man. The miniature man grew in the water,  but was still a bit miniature. The girls dressed in summer dressed and Mandy in all white. Some of the guys lined up as groomsmen. I will post a picture when I get a chance. You may ask why is Skyeler performing fake weddings? I would ask you why wouldn't I perform an event the girls couldn't stop talking about from their retreat that bonded everyone closer together (the purchase of the tiny man). In it I see the heart of the kids for Mandy and her heart for them. In the fun I see God's love poured out!

No comments:

Post a Comment